Internship: Industrial Design – New Delivery Vehicle
Do you want to be part of the grocery revolution? At Picnic you get the chance to join a young and
forward-thinking startup culture, where everything you do matters. With a data-driven approach
and an incredible service, Picnic strives to make grocery shopping simple, fun, and affordable for
everyone. Known for our just-in-time supply-chain and a unique last-mile delivery strategy, we
have become one of the fastest-growing companies of the Netherlands!
Join Picnic for an exciting internship to work on exciting product design projects, like our new
delivery vehicle. Work on concrete ideas and products to improve our future delivery process.
Gain real world experience in a fast paced environment.
Where you fit in
Picnic has over 1200 electric vehicles that deliver groceries across the Netherlands and Germany.
This fleet plays an integral role in an emissions-free last-mile delivery strategy with great
customer experience. Our customers enjoy a first-class doorstep service while we pioneer urban
logistics to reduce inner-city traffic and make neighborhoods cleaner and safer.
In a joint venture with a research institute and a manufacturer, backed by funding from the Dutch
Government, we have begun the development of an all-new delivery vehicle. This new vehicle
will continue to play a leading role in our delivery process while further contributing to a
positive brand presence. The design must be iconic, friendly and, of course, technically sound.
We want an industrial design intern to join this exciting project. Your challenge is to translate
requirements set by our customers, the vehicle users, and logistical processes into practical
solutions. The result: a future-proof vehicle that will turn heads for years to come.
What you do
Depending on background, experience, and affinity with the subject, your tasks can be:
- Defining the cabin interior function and form, together with our contracted design agency
- Iterative design process with 3D CAD models
- Harvest companywide insights and involve relevant stakeholders
- User testing of the new vehicle and logistics operations with drivers (cabin interactions,
delivery, hub logistics etc.)
- Supporting pilot operation of new vehicle type
- Developing and testing new features to simplify delivery or vehicle loading
- Translate and share insights with our automotive production partner for actual
What you need?
- Pursuing a degree in industrial design engineering or similar
Solid works proficiency is a plus
- Human factors related knowledge or experience
- Get-up-and-go Mentality: Energy, motivation, and assertive attitude
- Quick Thinking: You identify issues and come armed with a solution
- Long-term Vision: Process-oriented and structured thinking
- Mechanic’s Mind: A basic working knowledge of vehicles
- Composure: Ability to work under pressure and meet daily deadlines
- Responsibility: You’re confident and happy being the go-to-person
- 6 months, or more, to dedicate to this full-time operational role
- English proficiency, Dutch is a plus
- Pay attention: this is not a (thesis) graduation internship
In our modern Amsterdam office, you will be part of an international, all-star team of ground-
breaking entrepreneurs, brilliant engineers, and data wizards that work with desire and dedication
each day. You’ll find yourself working alongside the founders, treated as a full-time employee,
and receiving invaluable experience in a challenging environment. Surrounded by like-minded
people who are looking forward to guiding you, you’ll grow professionally and personally.
But don’t worry, at Picnic groceries aren’t a chore – we play as hard as we work! Besides all
this, you will get 600 euros per month for a full-time internship.